I was thinking of how many bands have left their mark. Anyone close to me would know how much I admire Maynard (Tool, Puscifer, APC) for his contributions to the world of music, but I'd have to say that Type O Negative came across as the most unique and influential for me. Who's your most influential band/music artist?

Views: 371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just wanted to give some more props especially to a lot of European bands...they just do the tragic and epic sounds I love so much sooo well. Like lately I can't get enough of Swallow the Sun, My Dying Bride. In Flames, etc...etc. TON also did this so well which is why I love them so much.
Bands that were the most influential to me are Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction, and Type O Negative. I remember how much of an effect Jane's Addiction had on me at the age of 16 and I still get giddy just watching their videos on YouTube. They are one band that I have yet to see live and I missed my opportunity last year. Hopefully they come back around again in the future.
It definitely does seem like Europe is carrying the metal torch. I did recently run across Five Finger Death Punch, which is metal but with unique vocalizations. And that name, oh my.

Holly Ellenbecker said:
Just wanted to give some more props especially to a lot of European bands...they just do the tragic and epic sounds I love so much sooo well. Like lately I can't get enough of Swallow the Sun, My Dying Bride. In Flames, etc...etc. TON also did this so well which is why I love them so much.
It's cool to see JA getting attention. You did get their free release last year right? If not, message me and I'll try to find their link.

MoGo said:
Bands that were the most influential to me are Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction, and Type O Negative. I remember how much of an effect Jane's Addiction had on me at the age of 16 and I still get giddy just watching their videos on YouTube. They are one band that I have yet to see live and I missed my opportunity last year. Hopefully they come back around again in the future.
Three come to mind for me...

1. Guns n' Roses
2. Bruce Springsteen
3. Slipknot

NOW WAIT... let me explain this process here...

First and foremost, Gn'R taught me rock n' roll... taught about drugs, sex, and guitars. I learned how to play guitar by locking myself in my room with a guitar and a copy of Appetite.

The Boss is listed because he got my through my time when I was going from a kid to an adult... it was the worst six months of my life: I graduated high school, move out on my own, lost all my friends for various reasons, and then my car broke and the car I borrowed I crashed. So I was left with my parents Jeep for a few weeks and all my Dad in it was Springsteen CD's. That's when I listened and understood. He showed me the heart behind music - and that all you need is a guitar and a story.

For Slipknot... this is the "gateway" band for into everything out metal, hardcare, etc. I remember I was in 8th grade when this kid walked into English class with one of those boom boxes with the huge red speakers. (Can't think of the name right now.) He plugged it in and hit play and holy shit, (sic) started playing. Super tuned down guitars, drums everywhere, and screaming vocals that sounded good... and meant something.

For those who know me well, know how those three bands listed fit into my personality and why my music range is so vast.
Type O Negative, amongst many others that are in a very similar caliber and / or vein.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Sal Abruscato.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service