Recent discussions with a fellow axe slinger friend of mine and ex guitarist for VENOM told me that metal was dying a slow death and that's why he opted out for a better gig...I told him he was nuts. Now he plays with Daryll Hall. Do you believe the metal genre is on the way out? Are we a dying breed? Or is metal still as big as ever? Sometimes I don't know what to think....but I'm a metal head until I drop!

Views: 419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

metal will never ever die. like mr. hastings said earlier, there are bands out there that will carry the torch. like Pale Horse, Seventh Void, etc, etc, etc...

I like what Nerine said about evolving. So true. New generations keep coming out and even though they all offer up the same names as influences and each generation will put their own spin on that influence.

OK my opinion is that if you look at how Rock and Roll evolved into Metal and how Metal has changed over the years it will just keep on evolving, Metal Will Never Die... EVER...\m/
Metal will never Die.....

So long as an artist a) keeps reinventing himself (look at Ozzy, for instance) and b) keeps up with trends, there's nothing stopping them from breaking new ground. I don't think people are fully realising the impact that the most recent developments in social media are having. 

APHND is rather on the ball with the Twitter stalking, MySpace, forum set-up and employing a "street team" if you will. Viral networking is the way forward using the virtual tools available. I've seen it work for authors. Hell, it's working for me, so there's nothing stopping a band from eventually reaching that first critical milestone of "1 000 true fans". 

What's good about APHND's music is that they'll cross over between those who love metal, to those who like hard rock. That's already a massive plus point. A lot rests on how they interact with fans.

The days of being up on a pedestal with a "rock star" image are gone. Bands need to be more proactive in their approach. 

I think the real question here is what are we asking? Will Metal as a genre die? No. Will Metal venues die? There's a good question. It could shrink if the genre goes back underground. Remember that small towns aren't spinning the latest metal release. To me it seems the fandom shifts from time-to-time as areas become saturated with new forms of music. Also, you have to look at the demographics. The average teen is listening to Miley Cyrus, not Slayer. So what then? Do bands keep touring in places where there are no sales? Not necessarily. This is why I am running parallel with you on the tools part, because touring can be hit-or-miss unless you hit targeted hotspots prime for sales and business.

Nerine Dorman said:

So long as an artist a) keeps reinventing himself (look at Ozzy, for instance) and b) keeps up with trends, there's nothing stopping them from breaking new ground. I don't think people are fully realising the impact that the most recent developments in social media are having. 

APHND is rather on the ball with the Twitter stalking, MySpace, forum set-up and employing a "street team" if you will. Viral networking is the way forward using the virtual tools available. I've seen it work for authors. Hell, it's working for me, so there's nothing stopping a band from eventually reaching that first critical milestone of "1 000 true fans". 

What's good about APHND's music is that they'll cross over between those who love metal, to those who like hard rock. That's already a massive plus point. A lot rests on how they interact with fans.

The days of being up on a pedestal with a "rock star" image are gone. Bands need to be more proactive in their approach. 

I agree with the person/persons that said Metal is evolving.  Think if you total up all the fans of the various genres they've got now, its still pretty big. Granted record companies not doing much to support up and coming metal bands isn't helping
No genre will ever totally die. There are always eclectic, open-minded music fans looking for new sounds, and so there's bound to be people always getting into every style of music, be it metal or whatever.
Metal's POPULARITY, on the other hand, IS pretty critically low right now. Metal was really exciting in the mid-90s with all kinds of sludgey metal, crossover metal, rap-metal and other experimental shit keepinmg the genre fresh and exciting, but I think the popularity of nu-metal in particular really did more damage to metal in general than it did any good. Nu-metal exploded into the pop charts and became trendy so fast that the inevitable backlash hit twice as hard as it does with any other genre. All the pop fans who liked nu-metal have moved on to the next fad, and the metal fans who liked nu-metal are now too afraid to experiment with anything more adventurous than the most generic death / black / thrash metal in case they get branded as a nu-metal bandwagon hopper or some shit like that. Metal needs to stop being scared to be adventurous again and try to mix in new elements if it's going to remain relevant, because I for one am getting pretty fucking fed-up of blastbeat drums and cookie monster / gay power metal vocals.
Don't forget forget the indecipherable wall of distortion coming from the bass and guitars while listeners don't have a clue what the vocalist is screaming

Joseph Cassidy said:
No genre will ever totally die. There are always eclectic, open-minded music fans looking for new sounds, and so there's bound to be people always getting into every style of music, be it metal or whatever.
Metal's POPULARITY, on the other hand, IS pretty critically low right now. Metal was really exciting in the mid-90s with all kinds of sludgey metal, crossover metal, rap-metal and other experimental shit keepinmg the genre fresh and exciting, but I think the popularity of nu-metal in particular really did more damage to metal in general than it did any good. Nu-metal exploded into the pop charts and became trendy so fast that the inevitable backlash hit twice as hard as it does with any other genre. All the pop fans who liked nu-metal have moved on to the next fad, and the metal fans who liked nu-metal are now too afraid to experiment with anything more adventurous than the most generic death / black / thrash metal in case they get branded as a nu-metal bandwagon hopper or some shit like that. Metal needs to stop being scared to be adventurous again and try to mix in new elements if it's going to remain relevant, because I for one am getting pretty fucking fed-up of blastbeat drums and cookie monster / gay power metal vocals.
actually it has been coming back stronger then ever. I remember around the time when I was 18-25, it seemed there was absolutely nothing going on. all the rock clubs have closed in my hometown and the surrounding towns, there were barely any gigs. now there are so many concerts every week and I have to miss out on many just because it's not feasible to attend all.
AC/DC  Rock and roll ain"t noise pollution  .Rock and roll ain"t gonna die!!!!
As long as people are passionate about the genre (which many people are!) then Metal won't die. There will always be someone around to create it and someone else around to listen to it. Or so I'd hope anyway! I'm certainly not letting it die any time soon.
as long as there are metalheads out there, i cannot see metal dying. those that love metal are a different breed and i believe that the genre is going to keep on growing and growing. i grew up listening to 80s metal and it just took off from there. from Quiet Riot to The Scorpions to Maiden to TON to APHND. it keeps getting better and better.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Sal Abruscato.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service