Look, we love all that is Metal.  I would rather have my eardrums stroked by APHND or Type O than eardrum rapped by Lil Wayne.  But, we all have that one band.  That one band that we owned their cd at one time, and hid it under the drivers seat of our car so no one would find it!  Own up, people!  I'll be the first one to admit it;

Hi, my name is Ross and I have Tom Waits on my Ipod. 

Views: 1072

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, think rap and hip hop are about the only styles of music I generally try to avoid (with maybe a song or 2 by LL Cool Jay being the exceptions).  There's come country tunes I enjoy, but not enuff to worry bout getting them. Oh wait, a lot of the death metal stuff does nothing for me, don't know what exact genre people put the sounds I'm talking about in- the songs that you can't tell one guitar chord, note or somebody beating on it, from another, have no idea what lyrics are and are pretty sure the drummer as OD'd on speed, even though he's the only one producing something musical
OH man!  Do I agree with you!  The "death metal" just doesn't do it for me for all the same reasons. 

Bobby Brown II said:
Yeah, think rap and hip hop are about the only styles of music I generally try to avoid (with maybe a song or 2 by LL Cool Jay being the exceptions).  There's come country tunes I enjoy, but not enuff to worry bout getting them. Oh wait, a lot of the death metal stuff does nothing for me, don't know what exact genre people put the sounds I'm talking about in- the songs that you can't tell one guitar chord, note or somebody beating on it, from another, have no idea what lyrics are and are pretty sure the drummer as OD'd on speed, even though he's the only one producing something musical

Ok...here goes...deep breath...I have Josh Grobin in my cd player.  Ok there...I feel better.  I also can't help but sing along to the Thompson Twins and Duran Duran.

My first concert ever was Thompson Twins and Berlin at the CU Events Center in Boulder, CO.  I was 12 and I got into a fight with this old woman (she was probably in her 20's) over a drumstick.  Then I remember when the video came out for The Reflex - they were premiering it on MTV (back when MTV played videos).  We had it cranked up so loud and were screaming that the neighbors called the police. 

Had a friend have his bigass stereo cranked up so loud the police killed the circuit breaker at his house so he could hear them knocking.. actually it was more like a PA system than stereo- 5,000 watts 4 way active cross over with 18 inch JBL subs-lol

Carla Wyman said:

Ok...here goes...deep breath...I have Josh Grobin in my cd player.  Ok there...I feel better.  I also can't help but sing along to the Thompson Twins and Duran Duran.

My first concert ever was Thompson Twins and Berlin at the CU Events Center in Boulder, CO.  I was 12 and I got into a fight with this old woman (she was probably in her 20's) over a drumstick.  Then I remember when the video came out for The Reflex - they were premiering it on MTV (back when MTV played videos).  We had it cranked up so loud and were screaming that the neighbors called the police. 

Two great stories!  Thompson Twins seem to be sneaking into this thread a lot!  Who would have guessed that?!?!

I hate to admit this as well, but when I was 7, my mom took my sister to see New Kids On The Block, and because my dad was out of town that weekend, I had to go.  So, NKOTB was my first concert.  My dad made it up to me a few months later and took me to see KISS, so it all worked out.

Glad ya weren't scarred for life-lol. KISS was my second concert too, though was older- 17 when I saw the Destroyer tour show

Ross C said:

Two great stories!  Thompson Twins seem to be sneaking into this thread a lot!  Who would have guessed that?!?!

I hate to admit this as well, but when I was 7, my mom took my sister to see New Kids On The Block, and because my dad was out of town that weekend, I had to go.  So, NKOTB was my first concert.  My dad made it up to me a few months later and took me to see KISS, so it all worked out.

Guilty pleasure... like things I enjoy listening that are completely entirely different terrain than the (Brooklyn) metal scene we all know and love, entirely? Well, in that case, there is 80's new wave & synth pop like The Smiths, New Order, Depeche Mode, Morrissey, The Cure, The Mission U.K., Nitzer Ebb... (which can be compared in a similar vein as Laibach)? Which then carries into today with stuff like Curve, And One, Bad Lieutenant, Garbage, The Cranberries... which leads me into anything 90s alternative, such as Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Oasis on onto a whole other spectrum like Snoop Dog, Big L, Public Enemy... been actually meaning to get into "Body Count". Then transcend the barriers with of course indie music like Why?, Modest Mouse, simple rock stuff like White Stripes & Black Keys, anything Jack or Meg White are involved in, and probably the only one I feel a bit "odd" (for lack of a better word) would perhaps be Apocolyptica and Dir en Grey. Which aren't too bad live, by the way. David Bowie? Simon & Garfunkel? I don't know... you tell me.
Oh yeah, I saw Duran Duran on here... them too. They're fucking great. Awesome pop song writing.

WEEN. Those guys are fucking funny and great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62hBCAn-w7U

Dude, I'm a Bowie fan as well, and he was a pioneer in the alter-ego, dramatic performances that led to many bands we know and love today.  So, I don't know if he would enter into the guilty pleasure category.  Now, Simon & Garfunkel might be teetering on the edge!  Although, "The Sound Of Silence" is still an amazing song that everyone should respect, not only for singing talent, but for the context in which it was written. 

Ween, I haven't thought about those guys in years.  I remember owning Chocolate and Cheese on cassette back in the day!  At least I think it was C&C.  Maybe it was Pure Guava.  One of the two.

Well, here's the thing. I've come to realize I like a lot, and I really don't feel guilty about any of them, I just know I can go from listening to Meshuggah one moment, right to Elton John, next to Gogol Bordello, and then something like Mudhoney, and maybe some Joni Mitchel and / or Gary Numan to top it all off. I'm just all over the fucking place. It's really quite a trip on a snowed in, boring day, like today, just hearing what is in my library at the moment. But yes, I like a lot of these things, haha. I saw someone had Tom Waits as a guilty pleasure, and I'm thinking... how? Guy's great! But again, this is just me.

Ross C said:

Dude, I'm a Bowie fan as well, and he was a pioneer in the alter-ego, dramatic performances that led to many bands we know and love today.  So, I don't know if he would enter into the guilty pleasure category.  Now, Simon & Garfunkel might be teetering on the edge!  Although, "The Sound Of Silence" is still an amazing song that everyone should respect, not only for singing talent, but for the context in which it was written. 

Ween, I haven't thought about those guys in years.  I remember owning Chocolate and Cheese on cassette back in the day!  At least I think it was C&C.  Maybe it was Pure Guava.  One of the two.

Dude, that was me! LOL!  I started off with Tom Waits.  Been a huge fan of his for years.  Still have yet to get to see him live, which is a problem I constantly live with as many bands I want to see seldom make it to my part of the USA.  And you should be proud of that music selection.  I guess it was just easy enough to use the term "guilty pleasure" even though none of us would apologize for singing any of it out loud.  Even if most of the people on here prefer the Thompson Twins for some unknown reason! LOL!

Ernest Argyros said:

Well, here's the thing. I've come to realize I like a lot, and I really don't feel guilty about any of them, I just know I can go from listening to Meshuggah one moment, right to Elton John, next to Gogol Bordello, and then something like Mudhoney, and maybe some Joni Mitchel and / or Gary Numan to top it all off. I'm just all over the fucking place. It's really quite a trip on a snowed in, boring day, like today, just hearing what is in my library at the moment. But yes, I like a lot of these things, haha. I saw someone had Tom Waits as a guilty pleasure, and I'm thinking... how? Guy's great! But again, this is just me.

Ross C said:

RSS

© 2021   Created by Sal Abruscato.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service