Look, we love all that is Metal.  I would rather have my eardrums stroked by APHND or Type O than eardrum rapped by Lil Wayne.  But, we all have that one band.  That one band that we owned their cd at one time, and hid it under the drivers seat of our car so no one would find it!  Own up, people!  I'll be the first one to admit it;

Hi, my name is Ross and I have Tom Waits on my Ipod. 

Views: 1099

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mmm, Rob, country music kinda does present some unique forms of torture! ;-)
yeah I can't absolutely stand country...ugh

Queen is the shit!  I've been a fan for years.  One of my friends back in grade school had the Innuendo album and that got me hooked. 

I, too, share the massive distaste for country music.  And I promise you, living in the South as I do, that is all you hear.  On any given weekend night, you see one of two things.  1. An 80's model car with a new paint job, rims, and tinted windows blasting some shitty rap song as high as his system will play it without blowing up and setting the interior on fire.  Or 2. A jacked up, 8 foot high pickup truck with a RealTree camo logo on the back, mud all down the side, blasting either country OR RAP (no kidding) as high as it will go.

This is my hell.  Welcome to Arkansas.

Ross, you have yet to discover the latest, erm... phenomenon here in South Africa. The style is called Zef and I can only describe it as Eminem meets hill-billy Afrikaner cuture... You guys are suffering an assault by one of our local musos, Die Antwoord ("The Answer") See Zef

And if you haven't heard of them: be very afraid. They swear at you in Afrikaans...

Ross C said:

1. An 80's model car with a new paint job, rims, and tinted windows blasting some shitty rap song as high as his system will play it without blowing up and setting the interior on fire.  Or 2. A jacked up, 8 foot high pickup truck with a RealTree camo logo on the back, mud all down the side, blasting either country OR RAP (no kidding) as high as it will go.

This is my hell.  Welcome to Arkansas.

Ok, you have sparked my interest.  I'm going to have to look into this tomorrow.  I'll let you know just how fantastic it really is!  I'm excited now!
Oh dear. I have started something.

Ross C said:
Ok, you have sparked my interest.  I'm going to have to look into this tomorrow.  I'll let you know just how fantastic it really is!  I'm excited now!

Oh....my.....god.  Seriously?  What the fuck............did I just watch.  My mind is officially blown and all over the floor.  That just......wow.  Just fucking wow.

If anyone has not seen this Die Antwoord shit, go watch "Enter The Ninja" on Youtube.  I'm really at a lose for words, and that never happens.  Wow.

Oh. Dear. See. I've started something. I'm friends with the small guy in the video. Leon's an amazing artist and I've interviewed him on my blog. But I must warn you Americans. The language they're using is pretty crass... so much so I don't think I can repeat half the stuff for fear of my tongue shriveling up.

Ross C said:

Oh....my.....god.  Seriously?  What the fuck............did I just watch.  My mind is officially blown and all over the floor.  That just......wow.  Just fucking wow.

If anyone has not seen this Die Antwoord shit, go watch "Enter The Ninja" on Youtube.  I'm really at a lose for words, and that never happens.  Wow.

Language doesn't bother me.  Just the entire being of this band bothers me! I can not get over the fact that someone would take that seriously.  It just blows my mind.
It's quite scary... But it's a curious cultural development here in South Africa. I almost suspect the band was formed as a way to mock a certain cultural group but the landscape had been ripe for something different for a long time and it's taken off quite seriously. I sort of grudgingly like Die Antwoord but there's a part of me that gets sick chills seeing the way they dress and behave.

Ross C said:
Language doesn't bother me.  Just the entire being of this band bothers me! I can not get over the fact that someone would take that seriously.  It just blows my mind.

I guess that dynamic makes sense to a certain degree.  I mean, we here in the States seem to socially accept things that once I see them for the first time, I'm shocked.  Not at the content per say, but at the fact that this is what has become popular.  For instance, the other morning as my tv was playing in the background, I heard and seen my first Ke$hya video.  I think that's her name.  I always remember the dollar sign, anyway.  I was watching with my mouth open at not only how moronic the lyrics were, but the fact I've seen teenage girls talk about how awesome this "artist" is.  I would choke my child!

I guess this means that somewhere along the line, I grew up and have officially became my parents.  I just can't wait for the day to look at my little girl and say "What is this shit?  You want to hear some real music?  Hand me that CD that says Type O Negative on it!  Yeah, we still have CD's! What's wrong with your generation?!?!"

I must admit that now, after the events of last year, I've rekindled my interest in music again after years of just listening to whatever my partner has been into. It's as if listening to TON again after so long having other halves saying my music tastes suck, I've now got the backbone to say, "Hey, I like this, and I'm going to listen to other stuff I like." 

No compromises this time. I miss out on so much here in my country and I'm so absolutely gobsmacked when I see musicians actually able to make a living with their art. Some of my best friends are in a metal band. They both have day-jobs yet I know if they were in the States they could do this full-time. They've just spent months and months filming and editing their next music video that they've just released online... yet it all seems that the resources are more readily available in the States due to there being a healthy industry.

Just today I was telling my colleagues that if I were to ever make it big, I'd be flying bands down to Cape Town for an all-expenses paid holiday in lieu of them playing one gig in my home town. One can dream. Tsk. I'm rambling... Must go back to my edits.

Ross C said:

I guess this means that somewhere along the line, I grew up and have officially became my parents.  I just can't wait for the day to look at my little girl and say "What is this shit?  You want to hear some real music?  Hand me that CD that says Type O Negative on it!  Yeah, we still have CD's! What's wrong with your generation?!?!"

RSS

© 2021   Created by Sal Abruscato.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service