I was thinking of how many bands have left their mark. Anyone close to me would know how much I admire Maynard (Tool, Puscifer, APC) for his contributions to the world of music, but I'd have to say that Type O Negative came across as the most unique and influential for me. Who's your most influential band/music artist?

Views: 385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Every time I spin a shuffle on my Pod, I find something else to love for another reason. Maynard recently did a set with another fellow, (forgive me the name escapes me at the moment) "Rocket Man". It made me think of the older, more non-metal influences, and as Holly mentioned above, Johnny Cash is definitely in that crowd. Elton John did a significant amount of unique songs that have been redone over and over. Elvis of course, The Beatles, Cream, CCR, etc. If you have Sirrius XM, you can get a sweet overview of music from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and the 90s, just by turning the dial. Every decade had a distinct cause and sound. And you can almost tell what decade a song is from, even if you've never heard it before.
in the old days:
Black Metal Bands

but lately:
LOA
Keith Caputo
Ryan Oldcastle
Alice In Chains
Neil Young
Yoshida Brothers :D
TON, Concrete Blonde, Shadow Project, Stevie Nicks, Mad Season, The Bauhaus, Garbage, Celtic Frost, and Danny Elfman. To name a few*smile*.
MINE ALSO IS TYPE O NEGATIVE. BUT NOW THAT THEY ARE GONE, AS TO ME, PETE IS TYPE O NEGATIVE, I DO LOVE ME THIS BAND A PALE HORSE NAMED DEATH. I LOVE THEIR SOUND. I LOVE SAL AND MATT'S TWISTED WAY OF LAYIN DOWN LYRICS. I LOVE THIS BAND SINCE SAL FIRST PUT UP "CRACKS IN THE WALLS" ON FACEBOOK. WAS HOOKED. JUST LIKE I WAS IN 1992 WHEN I FIRST HEARD TYPE O NEGATIVE. I LOOK FORWARD FOR THIS RIDE TO SEE AND SUPPORT SAL AND MATT ALL OF THE WAY WITH THIS. TYPE O NEGATIVE WILL FOREVER BE IN MY LIFE AND MOSTLY IN MY HEART. I AM PASSING THEIR MUSIC ONTO MY SON WHO IS ALSO LOVING APHND. HE HAS GREAT TASTE IN MUSIC!! HE IS ONLY 6!!

LIKE I ALWAYS SAY, KEEP ON KEEPING IT NEGATIVE!
Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ
I adore Johnette's work (Concrete Blonde) and saw them on their old skool reunion tour a few months ago, my second time seeing them. She's definitely a rock idol of mine. Love Bauhaus, stupidly I just discovered them this year. Funny, I loved Peter Murphy's work for years before that. Duh. Great choices!


Kate Barnett - RowanGingerRaven said:
TON, Concrete Blonde, Shadow Project, Stevie Nicks, Mad Season, The Bauhaus, Garbage, Celtic Frost, and Danny Elfman. To name a few*smile*.
Been spinning TON for years, doubtful I'll ever stop, I just keep mixing them in with my new stuff. I also discovered ISIS, which just broke up in May (yes, I'm behind). I have a LOT of music and iTunes doesn't lie when it says TON has received the most plays. I also love the nastiness of Carnivore. Rawr.


MARY WOLFE (BloodSteele) said:
MINE ALSO IS TYPE O NEGATIVE. BUT NOW THAT THEY ARE GONE, AS TO ME, PETE IS TYPE O NEGATIVE, I DO LOVE ME THIS BAND A PALE HORSE NAMED DEATH. I LOVE THEIR SOUND. I LOVE SAL AND MATT'S TWISTED WAY OF LAYIN DOWN LYRICS. I LOVE THIS BAND SINCE SAL FIRST PUT UP "CRACKS IN THE WALLS" ON FACEBOOK. WAS HOOKED. JUST LIKE I WAS IN 1992 WHEN I FIRST HEARD TYPE O NEGATIVE. I LOOK FORWARD FOR THIS RIDE TO SEE AND SUPPORT SAL AND MATT ALL OF THE WAY WITH THIS. TYPE O NEGATIVE WILL FOREVER BE IN MY LIFE AND MOSTLY IN MY HEART. I AM PASSING THEIR MUSIC ONTO MY SON WHO IS ALSO LOVING APHND. HE HAS GREAT TASTE IN MUSIC!! HE IS ONLY 6!!

LIKE I ALWAYS SAY, KEEP ON KEEPING IT NEGATIVE!
Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ♥Θ
I *REALLY* love the reincarnation of Alice in Chains, absolutely breaktaking return to the scene. Awesome choices!


Pusztai Patrik said:
in the old days:
Black Metal Bands

but lately:
LOA
Keith Caputo
Ryan Oldcastle
Alice In Chains
Neil Young
Yoshida Brothers :D
One band : Le Noyau Dur (most known as LND) and more generally all the stuff of Djag (ex-Sarkazein, LND, Black Bomb A). This guy is just awesome and his lyrics are so beautiful which is mixing poetry, metaphors and society criticism (implicitly or not). I really admire this artist, I find myself in all of his lyrics, be it society point of view or personal text.

Otherwise, there are Burning Skies for the brutality and Benighted for a musical approach of madness and mental illness (the singer is a psychiatric male nurse).
Boy Sets Fire? Oh, I have to look that one up. ^_^



Derek Showerman said:
Type O Negative
Pantera
Megadeth
Vision of Disorder
The Misfits
Slayer
Face To Face
Boy Sets Fire
Shadows Fall
Sam Black Church
TON and The Sisters of Mercy
Well, the band that really made a hugh impact on and in my life is Type O Negative. I like Carnivore before that and that band showed me that by creating your own sound you create your own identity on which people can relate. Out of the box music. You can listen a million times to that music and it never becomes boring. Music with body and soul....a black soul that is.

Basically everything that Peter Steele created I liked bigtime. Nowadays I discovered Seventh Void as well as band and even in my old days I appearantly discovered something new.

But my heart will always be with Type O Negative. And Vanilla Ice.
You're crazy. I like that. My guilty pleasure as a kid was Debbie Gibson. Don't hate. Ha.


Constantin said:
Well, the band that really made a hugh impact on and in my life is Type O Negative. I like Carnivore before that and that band showed me that by creating your own sound you create your own identity on which people can relate. Out of the box music. You can listen a million times to that music and it never becomes boring. Music with body and soul....a black soul that is.

Basically everything that Peter Steele created I liked bigtime. Nowadays I discovered Seventh Void as well as band and even in my old days I appearantly discovered something new.

But my heart will always be with Type O Negative. And Vanilla Ice.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Sal Abruscato.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service