I want to know from all the musicians here what bands have inspired you and how you started listening to these bands. 

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a student of music currently, but I have influences that drive me to get this guitar thing down. First off, Peter Steele and Johnette Napolitano brought me about to really appreciate the bass. Kurt Cobain taught me a healthy appreciation for the bright Fender "Jagstang" sound. Jimi Hendrix showed what a Fender Strat is capable of and tried all sorts of new stuff that still is difficult to replicate.

As for how I started listening to these bands, mostly radio hits and further exploration of the albums, except Type O I got on a "New Alternative" VHS collection along with Dream Theater and Queensryche. The video was "Christian Woman" and well, life just hasn't been the same after that first listen. ;)
When I heard LOA for the first time I was blown away first by keith's voice, its soooo original. like I said before they are a tight band. Sal recently has taught me that the quiet drummer in the back Can be a good front man I would range my voice being close to kenny Hickey meets Jim Morrison., I recently learned "bad Seed on guitar and have been jamming it out with this drummer I know and i have been singing it so, I wanna get some kinda NYHC cover band goin then start writing some of my own material but I wanna hammer out some of my fave songs before that happens

Scary Carrie said:
I'm a student of music currently, but I have influences that drive me to get this guitar thing down. First off, Peter Steele and Johnette Napolitano brought me about to really appreciate the bass. Kurt Cobain taught me a healthy appreciation for the bright Fender "Jagstang" sound. Jimi Hendrix showed what a Fender Strat is capable of and tried all sorts of new stuff that still is difficult to replicate.

As for how I started listening to these bands, mostly radio hits and further exploration of the albums, except Type O I got on a "New Alternative" VHS collection along with Dream Theater and Queensryche. The video was "Christian Woman" and well, life just hasn't been the same after that first listen. ;)
Now that is great news! Didn't that happen with Alice in Chains also? Oh and the infamous Dave Grohl. Everybody has a voice. And now we know Sal's absolutely rocks.
I've been playing the drums for about 8 years, and the most influential drummers for me were: (in chronological order) Lars Ulrich, Mike Portnoy, my drum teacher Somogyi Zoltán, and of course Sal. :D
When we played our cover of "Love to let you down" with my band, I was feeling like a tall, bearded man! ^^ (though I'm a small beardless girl)
That is awesome! What started you on the drums? I'm a bass enthusiast myself, so they work really tight together. I may have to add percussion to my "to-be-learned" list.

Csenge Domonkos said:
I've been playing the drums for about 8 years, and the most influential drummers for me were: (in chronological order) Lars Ulrich, Mike Portnoy, my drum teacher Somogyi Zoltán, and of course Sal. :D
When we played our cover of "Love to let you down" with my band, I was feeling like a tall, bearded man! ^^ (though I'm a small beardless girl)
I have always been keen on drums, since I was a little kid. And I like the position of the drummer in the band, that is, the drummer is always in the background, but a band cannot really exist without him/her. The drummer is like the mysterious "puppet master", behind a huge, beautiful thing, providing the foundations for all the music.
By the way, I also play the bass sometimes, but I'm not that good at it. And I started on the piano, because there was no opportunity to learn to play the drums in the local music school.

Scary Carrie said:
That is awesome! What started you on the drums? I'm a bass enthusiast myself, so they work really tight together. I may have to add percussion to my "to-be-learned" list.

Csenge Domonkos said:
I think bass and drums totally go hand-in-hand since they have to anticipate one another and everything just lays over it. I commend you for taking that seat, which might be nice. As a fan my feet ache after an hour, I can't imagine what on-stage performance feels like standing the whole time.
My parents raised me on Black Sabbath and Zed Zepplin,Eric Clapton,Doors,Allman Brothers.I started playing the Harmonica when I was 6 years old.When I started to listen to LOA,Pantera,Tool,Megadeth,NIN,Primus.I realized I wanted to write.Started at Poetry and then moved on to lyrics and then started working on my vocals.Now I have created my own prodject and Iam calling it the "Curb Side Blues".It still in the works.I hope to find band members for my rock slash metal band in the future thats another prodject.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sal Abruscato.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service